Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Food Challenge Update


Our latest food challenge has brought us much closer to understanding the origins of the word DIET. For the Greeks, diet simply meant way of life. I believe you folks have once again proven you are part of the vanguard when it comes to a thoughtful meditation on the food we eat.
A nuanced understanding of food begins with how we understand the concept of ECOLOGY.

What is ECOLOGY?  For a working definition of ecology I went to good ol' Wikipedia.

ECOLOGY AS:
The scientific study of the relationships that living organisms have with each other and with their natural environment
For well over 300 years now, the western world has understood the human as having dominion over its ecology. The story goes something like this, humans control and manipulate nature through technology and science.  This way of thinking is coming back to bite us on the ass. Just ask the drought ridden farmers of the American mid west. Or take a look at scientific recordings on soil quality right here in Saskatchewan.
There is another way of thinking about the human animal.  
Humans as part of, rather than outside of, a local ecology. When we start to think of  humans, not as the great manipulator of nature, whereby technology will keep us fat and happy, but as one small and very humble piece of the puzzle, we soon realize that while humans are stewards of the land, their is an internal logic to nature that humans would be wise to wake up to.  A very quick example to illustrate my point. Soil is more than just a chemistry equation. Rich fertile soil is far beyond getting just the right mix of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. Fertile soil is the result of hundreds, if not millions of years of decay, of a complex and symbiotic relationship between the human and the non human animal. Please listen to Allen Savory speak on holistic management. In this piece he explains that holistic management begins with some tough questions, What kind of life do I want to live? What kind of community do I want to help foster? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQGy0vxeL_k&noredirect=1While Allen is speaking directly to the question of land stewardship we just as easily can ask the same questions about food choices. What kind of life do I want to live and share with others?  If the answer is  to see food as simple fuel for our body, then I really won't care where our food comes from. I will just eat the required amount of protein and vegetables and be done with it.
If workers rights are important to me, I might think about the corporations that are growing and preparing my food.
If food safety is a concern for me, I will be questioning how food is prepared and packaged.
If it is important to me that local businesses thrive, this will be reflected in my food choices.
If I am concerned about wastefulness, I might learn how to get the most nutrients out of an animal carcass.
If I want my children to have a deep appreciation for food, eating out will not be high on my list of priorities.  
If I want my children to be self-sufficient, I will value cooking time as family time.  

You get the idea.
Coach D. 














No comments:

Post a Comment